Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Wibbly Wobbly


Doctor Who fans will recognize this quote from an episode called "Blink." Written by Stephen Moffat, the series writer at the time, it was a simplified version of how time, and time travel, worked. Oh. It was also stated by the last of the Timelords.

I used to consider time as totally linear ~ it only moved in one direction as well. However, the more I read and study, the more I discover that it really isn't quite that simple a concept.

When I was in college, I recall long and heated discussions about time being the 4th dimension. I don't recall anything ever being clearly decided. The primary use for the discourse was the exercise of our deductive reasoning, our capacity to persuade and our imaginations.

Our language often refers to time as "standing still" or "flying" or other terms designating varying degrees of movement. Is that because the passage of time is truly related to our focus or desire? or is it an illusion created by how we focus our minds?

Lately, I've spent time with dreamers. People who re-enter their dreams to discover more of what the dream has to tell them. I've spent time with shamanic practitioners as well. People who slide into other realities for the purpose of healing. Practicing with these groups, I've discovered that time is fluid and you can go backwards and forwards and sideways. Time holds definition only as long as we hold the same definition.

My fascination with Doctor Who comes from that same place within me that seeks out the company of dreamers and shamans. The place where dreams, imagination, healing and time bump up against each other and help me to become more than what I thought I was.

How do you experience time? What teases your imagination? What helps you dream? What helps you heal?

No comments:

Post a Comment