Sunday, November 3, 2019

The Floating Spirit


After handwashing the pan used for cooking my breakfast, I turned from the sink and hung it on its peg on the wall. As I walked away, a flicker of light caught my eye. A bubble! The size of a toddler's fingertip, it floated six inches in front of me and almost as far above my head. Fluidly and languidly, it bounced on every movement of the air. I played with that air. Gently waving my hand above it, under it, in front of it, behind it, the bubble moved liquidly on an invisible river. Not only my flitting hands moved the tiny rainbow shimmer, but also my breath and, of course, every movement of my body.

As I paused in the midst of my delight, I thought, how like the currents of my life were the dances of this bubble! Every movement it made was influenced by every movement of the air around which in turn was influenced by the movement of all in its environment. Connected to all. A fantastic floating spirit.

It was a good thing that no one was in the kitchen to see me as I stood in fascination with mouth agape and eyes alight. My entire being was electric with thoughts, ideas, feelings, images, dreams. Every atom focused on that teeny rainbow flicker. My only wish was to have a way to record all that was happening within me as I observed what was fleetingly happening.

Some of the thoughts and images, though brief and random, have remained with me. The first was simply awe. How often do we relax into the opportunity to feel awe?There are moments when I allow awe to sweep over me: a beautiful sunrise over the mountains on my drive to work; the first sweep of Spring flower blossoms; the delight of discovery shining in a child's eyes. Yet those are often only moments in the midst of moving on to do something else. Even so, I hope to always breathe a quick "thank you" for the nudge that awakens me to noticing it.

What was the last time you felt the sweep of awe? What do you recall of that moment? How often do you feel awe? Can you recall the sensations in your body? the responses in your mind? the focus of your soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment