Pope Francis of Buenos Aires, formerly Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, emerged from the conclave as the first pope from outside Europe in modern times, the first Jesuit, the first from Latin America, and the first named Francis, in recollection of St. Francis of Assisi, who dedicated his life to helping the poor. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/03/14/pope-faiths-react/1986529/There remains much discussion ~
- the Women's Ordination movement, hopeful because of the name he chose
- the Argentine government, investigating a charge against him
- the Jesuit order, excited about one of its own being elected
- the people he leaves behind in Argentina where he famously gave up the 'mansion' and chauffeured car to move into an apartment and use public transportation
- those who have been affected ~ and disaffected ~ by the Church's response to the abuse outcries
- the influence of Benedict XVI
My prayer: May God the Father and the Son, Jesus Christ, bless and influence this man to be a willing agent of change in the Roman Catholic Church today. Amen.