Thursday, January 16, 2014

Make Mistakes


Read this quote from Neil Gaiman.... then read it again. And again, so the message truly reaches you. What an incredible thought: MAKE MISTAKES! Every mistake we make brings us closer to ... well, to being fully alive and human. It's the only way to learn. If you're afraid to make mistakes, you're really stuck.

In the interest of full disclosure, I find myself challenged when it comes to making mistakes! It's not so much that I want to be perfect as it is that I don't want to look bad. What's strikes me as the oddest angle is the simple fact that I often snitch on myself when it comes to doing things incorrectly or incompletely or perhaps not knowing how to do something.

Mostly, it's the inner critic, the voice inside my head, the worrier part of me that is afraid of making mistakes. She acts as though she can see the future and knows what and how it all turns out. In truth, she is as ignorant of the future as I am. That's where the first mistake gets made: listening to her maddening voice.

Do you make mistakes? Do you learn from them? Do you have that inner voice that urges you onward toward perfection? What response do you have to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment