Monday, February 16, 2015

Mirror Pieces



Have you ever heard the story about the blind men describing an elephant? Each one had touched only one part of the elephant and insisted that his view was the most accurate one.

This is Rumi's description of the same action. One piece of something, one side of the story, one point of view, is not the entirety of the truth.

To illustrate this, let me tell a tale ~
At a friend's house for a party, I got into a discussion with another guest about the contents of a particular dessert. The other person insisted that the dessert was "healthy" for diabetics because it was sweetened with honey rather than white sugar. I asked, "Is that true?" At which point, the other guest got angry and insisted it was true and, besides that, it wasn't her fault if it wasn't. Then she turned and stomped off. I was dumb-struck. I had asked a simple question ~ not sure (1) if the dessert was sweetened with honey or (2) if it was, would that made it a healthier choice. Afterward, when mentioning the incident to the host, I was informed that someone with whom this other guest worked had died in the month prior to the party. She was still in shock and grief.
My "piece of mirror" was that this guest had over-reacted to my query or was a grumpy drunk or something of that sort. Never would I have suspected that she was emotionally spent.
Her "piece of mirror" may have been that I was challenging her and she was too psychologically stretched to handle it.
The host's "piece of mirror"? The incident had gone unnoticed.

Have you ever found yourself in a situation like this? How did you discover the different facet of the mirror/truth? Did you have an "aha" moment? How did the new information change you?

No comments:

Post a Comment