Friday, April 8, 2016

Addicted to Story


When was the last time you had a conversation and no one related a story? My guess? Never. Whether we talk about our jobs or our last trip to the store or the latest sports scores, stories emerge. We share our lives, our interactions with others, our impressions. Each of those moments is a story. Even our gossip around the proverbial water-cooler emerges into story.

This quote says we are addicted to story and in terms of addiction being "...a persistent, compulsive dependence on a behavior..." that is certainly the case.

Yesterday, I wrote about a friend's upcoming choices regarding a gift of travel. I asked her to keep me informed about her decision. My reason for asking? My personal addiction to story. I want to know the rest of it. What did she decide? Why did she make that decision? How did she let Uncle Joe know? If she chose to go, where would they go? and when? Did she have a picture of the rented house? For me, the story ~ HER story ~ is what's of interest. Yes, I'd love to do the travel myself, but that's not the point, is it? The point is in the tale.

That's how we share our lives and how we share in the lives of others. We watch TV shows for their drama and the relationships they build whether the shows are soap operas, sitcoms, dramas or reality shows. More and more books are being written as part of at least a trilogy. Even when we realize the storyline itself in the shows or books is less than stellar, we want to know the tale: What's happening to whom? Why did it happen? Where might it go from here? It is our drive to know more, to hear the next installment, that keeps us involved ~ with books, with TV shows and with the people around us.

What do you value about story? How do you get your story fix? Do you feel the draw ~ the addiction ~ to story? What do you do satisfy that draw? How do you add to others batch of stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment