Saturday, January 10, 2015

Be Fierce


I have a friend who has chosen a focus word of the year for the past decade. She challenged others to join her in the practice ~ and many have. I have repeatedly chosen not to do so. My reason? Words call to me all the time. They show up in my everyday life like dust-bunnies under the bed. Sometimes they gather together and bring a larger message; sometimes they puff out when the wind blows the right way.

Today, these words showed up: Stronger, Braver, Kinder, Unstoppable.... and their cousin: BE FIERCE.

How do I choose from among those incredible words? Personally, I don't. I let them all flow through the energies around me, let them settle in the corners of my mind. They throb through my veins into my heart. They find their own rhythm to speak to me ~ and I find the space and silence to listen.

This is the year I will be fierce. Yes. I feel it. The online dictionary defines fierce as "showing a heartfelt and powerful intensity." That's certainly what I've been feeling as this new year has begun ~ a powerful intensity leading me toward.... I'm not quite sure what.

That intensity, that fierceness, has shown up in my recent dreams ~ battles without anger or bloodshed, only abundant intensity, like a many-partnered dance with weapons. Or lots of people looking for a particular path and tumbling over each other to reach it. More circus-type tumbling. No harm done nor intended. Yet overflowing with intensity. I continue to watch how fierceness will play out in my life ~ and for how long.

What word or a group of words calls to you as this new year begins? Will it form a focus for your year? or for a particular length of time? Where is that word leading you? Are you willing to follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment