Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Angel Dance






Make me an angel
     that flies from Montgom'ry
Make me a poster
     of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing
     that I can hold on to
To believe in this living
     is just a hard way to go
Angel from Montgomery by John Prine



The past two days, this snippet of song has been the background music in my head. The first line caught me up: Make me an angel...  In the song, I suspect it's asking an angel to fly from Montgomery and give the singer some physical expression to hold on to, even an old rodeo poster would do the trick.

My perspective? To be an angel ~~ not the kind with feathered wings or the one that's sworn to be good, but the kind that dances through life, light and airy and filled with joy and goodwill. That was my version of the chorus. That's what I want to hold on to. An attitude rather than a thing.

The final line of the chorus weighs me down creating the desire for a change ~ or a dance. Sometimes it's hard to face day-to-day living. Sometimes it feels impossible. Yet if I can find the rhythm, the dance, I know I can hold on!

What do you hear in this song? What song plays the background of your recent days? How do you interpret the song? What meaning does it carry for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment