Thursday, June 5, 2014

Only One Road


"He often used to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep and every path was its tributary. 'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,' he used to say. 'You step into the Road, and if your don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to.'"
~ Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bilbo Baggins. Anyone who knows of The Hobbit or The Ring Trilogy has encountered Bilbo. Little person? Yes, a Hobbit is a little person with large feet and, especially in the case of Bilbo Baggins, an incredible sense of adventure.

How does this apply to me? It's the Road that's like a great river. I've encountered that Road. I've walked down it. I've crossed it, looking for somewhere else to go or someone else to be. I've explored its tributaries. Sometimes I have been able to keep my feet on it, to walk the directness that the Road represents. Mostly I have found my feet swept out from under me and the Road has taken me by surprise to places where I never thought I'd go, to experience myself in ways that I never thought I could be. An inductee in a cult. A priestess of the Goddess. A priest witnessing other women being ordained. A teacher in Egypt. A lover. A mother. A guide. A friend. So far, I have been blessed to have lived an incredible life. My heart nearly bursts with joy and gratitude. The adventure on this Road continues.

What is your One Road? Where has it led you? Who have you been on it? Who have you met? How do you feel about being on the Road?

No comments:

Post a Comment