Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Resting





"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time."
~ John Lubbock, The Use of Life




In our busy, perpetual motion world, sometimes slipping away and finding a place to rest, to relax, to slow down enough to breathe, is the best thing we can do for ourselves. So much of our time is spent being busy ~ with work, with email and the internet, with friends and family ~ a busyness that takes its toll on our mental and emotional health. We begin to think in terms of "When can I get enough time for...?" or "If I only had the time, I'd..." or "Maybe I can do that next...." Time becomes a commodity we bargain with. Taking time to rest, taking time to simply stop and be still, seems beyond our ken.

I've been taking that kind of time for myself lately. I haven't pushed to write these blogs. I've even missed a few days.... and forgiven myself for doing so. I have books to read, reports to write, applications to fill out, people to call. Instead, I've been sitting on my porch, or in front of Starbucks or in the park, resting, relaxing, letting my mind wander wherever it chooses to roam. I find myself lost in creative moments that I do not write down or attempt to capture in any form. I know that the rest, the wandering thoughts, the purposeful quietude, will bring forth the creativity when the time is right. I know that 'wasting time' is decidedly not a waste of time. Its benefits bring me breath and joy.

Do you allow yourself to rest? How do you rest? What form does your 'wasting time' take? What benefit/s does it bring to you? How do you feel after a bout of 'wasting time'?


No comments:

Post a Comment