Monday, June 2, 2014

Remember the Magic


There are many sights around me that take my breath away. My blossoming calla lilies. The cat answering my question with what sounds like 'yes'. The beginning crescent moon after a new moon. A heron standing in the wetlands. A deer hopping over a hurricane fence. I could continue on for a long time. Oh, and the Northern Lights.

I get busy during my days and weeks and often forget to look, really look, at the world around me. I am always in awe of the magic I see when I actually open my eyes to it. It's as though I have my eyes open, but my mind is so completely focused on something else ~ my upcoming work day, what I need at the store, who I need to email or call, so much 'stuff' packed into my thoughts ~ that I miss what's right in front of me.

Don't get me wrong. Having the capacity to plan or review my time is an incredible gift all in and of itself. But there must be a balance. There must be time given to ~ and taken for ~ remembering the magic that exists in the world around me, around us. Without it, we/I miss the awesomeness of the world. Then it becomes easier to slip into that space of anxiety or depression or simply 'the blahs'. And I don't want to be there.

What magic do you see around you? What takes your breath away? How do you wake yourself up to seeing it? Do you experience the magic regularly? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment