Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Well-Burning Life


On my list of things I've never considered: whether or not my life is burning well. If I had thought about my life burning at all, I would not have considered it a great option. Under most circumstances, burning and life are not positively associated.

If my life is burning well ~~ what does that even mean? The more I thought about it, the more I realized that, for me, it means that I am living from my passion, living with passion. My expectation is that my life would shine with excitement. If that's the case, then I haven't been burning well. I don't think that is the case. I believe that passion is what keeps us in forward motion, what keeps us breathing. It doesn't have to be big and exciting. It can be simple ~ and bring us joy. When I find that place, that moment, that space between the breaths, I pause and write. What shows up is poetic and revelatory. I want to capture the moment in words and in images.

My well-burning life keeps me posting on this blog. It keeps me in motion. Speed matters less than intensity and continuity. I am grateful for every breath, every flame, every ash.

What does a well-burning life look like to you? How does it express itself? What is its definition and shape?

No comments:

Post a Comment