Wednesday, May 7, 2014

In the Flow


photo by Warren Nistad
Stream of Live
by Rabindranath Tagore

The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs through the world and dances in rhythmic measures.

It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth in numberless blades of grass and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers.

It is the same life that is rocked in the ocean-cradle of birth and of death, in ebb and flow.

I feel my limbs are made glorious by the touch of this world of life.
And my pride is from the life-throb of ages dancing in my blood this moment.


When I saw this image posted by a friend, several thoughts and feelings occurred at once: I knew where it was taken, I acknowledged that Canada geese are not my favorite birds, I stared at the reflection of a perfect, beautiful sun. What a gloriously evocative image!

This image mirrors wonderfully the Tagore poem. "The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day runs through the world...." Amazing! That same stream of life runs through the Canada goose and the pond as well. The energy that animates me also animates and fills every other corner and faction of life. Every little piece and bit of it. Every nuance of life. I am nothing more, nor less, that every piece of creation.


"It is the same life ... of birth and of death, in ebb and flow." What synchronicity! This week I've been discussing encounters with death (mine and others) and a renewed vision of birth. The ebb and flow of conversation carried me along on its current to a better understanding of the circle of birth, death, renewal, rebirth. The ebb and flow of life shows itself in the blossoming of the trees and flowers all around me.

What helps you through the dark times? What actions in your life show you a direction in which you may head? What do you do if it is different from your expectations?

No comments:

Post a Comment