Thursday, May 8, 2014

Night is Falling


I'm not sure why we use the phrase "Night is falling" because it really doesn't fall. It arrives in stages, gradually and softly. We know it's time is nigh. Yet.... we still invite it to 'fall' on us.

The view from the window shows one phase, one moment in that process. Most of the land is in shadow ~ although when I looked out the window, I could see trees, field and water. The glow in the sky is the start of sunset even though the sun is no longer visible above the trees. A moment before the golden change flowing across the horizon.

What isn't revealed here are the myriad voices of the frogs, the 'good-night' chirruping of the birds, the buzzing of the mosquito and fly against the screen. As darkness arrives, an entirely new world begins to show itself ~ the nocturnal world. I watch it, I listen to it, I embrace it as I prepare for rest. May it bring us safe and juicy dreams!

How do you feel about night? What phrase do you use to describe night's approach? What do you hear, see, smell and understand about the night?

No comments:

Post a Comment