Thursday, May 22, 2014

Only One of You


There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost.
The world will not have it.
It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open.
You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you.
~ Martha Graham

In all of creation, there is only one of you, only one of me. Only one who can do the work you or I are in this world to do. Sometimes I forget that.

One reason is when I stop believing in myself. I lose sight of the vitality that makes me special, individual, one of a kind. More than that, I see my uniqueness as a detriment, as something that negates rather than adds to life. Those are the times when the 'cultural norms' seem almost large enough to attack my soul.

A second reason arrives quickly on the tail of the first: I pause in my belief in my own worth. I forget that there is a reason, a soul purpose to my being in this world. I may not always know what it is or see where it's going, but that purpose drives my life force onward and forward, upward and outward. I forget that it does not always show itself or define itself in terms that the world understands. It does require that I remain open and with a crystalline belief in myself.

It's okay when we lose sight of that, when our view is the diminutive version of who we really are, as long as we allow for the moments when that clarity shines through again. During our low times, we need to remain open to connection with the people who believe in us, who encourage us, who love us, and let them buoy us into the next moment of awareness and openness.

How do you view yourself? What vitality do you bring to the world? What unique gift do you have that no one else can bring to the world?


No comments:

Post a Comment