Tuesday, May 20, 2014

It's Complicated






"What are you going to do? Everything, is my guess. It will be a little messy, but embrace the mess. It will be complicated, but rejoice in the complications."
~ Nora Ephron





How do we begin again? How do we get started on a path to renewal and hope? It's complicated. It's messy. It's one of life's stranger moments..... finding the route to the higher thoughts and the positive directions.

So I begin. I imagine myself as the person in the picture: on a high wire looking at a complete and total crazed mess that I need to navigate. I feel exposed and vulnerable, confused and anxious. Where will this lead? What am I risking? Does it matter? What is the risk of not moving?

I put one foot in front of the other. I let myself feel the exposure and vulnerability. What difference does it make? Actually, it makes a lot of difference. When I allow those feelings, I breathe more deeply and more fully. I can be present to what is happening. My vision is clearer because I'm not in the struggle to change either what I see or what is happening.

Walking that crazy, loopy stretch of cording is scary and crazy-making rolled into one. It's amazing when I can choose to see it differently, to see it with new eyes, to embrace it as an adventure rather than resist the unknown.

What do you think of when you put yourself in the position of the person in the image? How do you feel? What happens to your breathing? Have you ever felt that way? What good came of it?




No comments:

Post a Comment