Thursday, March 13, 2014

Married to Amazement




Mary Oliver is one of my favorite poets. Her imagery and word choice are vibrant. This snippet from her poem When Death Comes leaves me breathless. Consider the timing ~ as death is coming ~ and the image of a bride and bridegroom. Not concepts we generally put together. Yet Mary Oliver does. Wow.



I love what follows as well:
When it is over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.
I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.
As I continue through this season and into the year, what courses through my system, finding the rhythm of my heartbeat is that final line: I don't want to end up simply having visited this world. I can easily say that we all want to DO something with our lives, but this one is personal. It sticks to me like salt after a dip in the ocean, like garlic on my fingers after making pizza, like the song that keeps playing in my head. It's not important if I'm visible to others, if I am known for anything in particular. Sometimes I want those things, knowing they fade all too quickly. What is important is to have cherished and relished and lived as many moments in this life as I can. What is important is to be present, and to be awake and aware.

What line from a poem, book, speech, or your best friend touches your soul right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment