Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thursday after Ash Wednesday


From Mahatma Gandhi ~
The roots of violence:
Wealth without work,
Pleasure without conscience,
Knowledge without character,
Politics without principle,
Commere without morality,
Worship without sacrifice.
~ Young India 22 October 1925


As I again explore the Practice of Lent, I find myself drawn to statements or clarifications that resonate with the theme of "sacrifice" in both small and great ways. This quote from Gandhi speaks volumes about the state of our world today ~ and of me as a part of that world. It's always easier to point fingers: "that's the neighbor's problem" ~ "if only the parents did...." ~ "the government should...." For me Lent is about the sacrifice of taking responsibility for my words, my actions, my part in the violence around me. It's easier to say the issue isn't my problem because it's bigger than I am or has been around for a long time or doesn't affect me personally. A piece of my lenten practice is to let go of my capacity to shrug off the issue and my ambivalence in letting violence ~ in word, in action or in inaction ~ continue.

Where are you in your practice? What do you want to see in the world? What are you willing to sacrifice to see that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment