Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Reaching for the Moon


©2014 Mary-Lynne Monroe
I love the full moon. Any full moon. Every full moon. I have taken more pictures of the full moon than any three people I know.... maybe more. In truth, I love the moon ~ any time, any where, any way.

Coming off the freeway while driving to work on St. Patrick's Day, I saw the full moon huge and beautiful ~ and I couldn't stop to take a picture. My heart sang, "Please be visible at work." My mind breathed, "Thank You for letting me see Your beauty."

Lo and behold, when I arrived at work and got out of the car, there She was ~ still big and bright and beautiful. I took a couple of pictures through the trees ~ gorgeous images ~ then went upstairs, unlocked the office, dropped my stuff on my desk and went out on the deck surrounding the office. I took several more pictures. Among them, this one ~ an incredible image of the tree top reaching toward the glowing moon.

I recalled stories about the moon. Myths, dreams, fantasies, truths, fictions. What comes most easily to mind is a quote from Mary Anne Radmacher written on a card on my altar at home: "I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world." I know the truth of that statement. Every place I've been, from Egypt to China to Ireland and the rest, I've looked upon that same moon and felt a sense of home. And every one of those places contributed to re-forming me into who I am now.

Like the tree in my picture, I continue to reach toward the moon. For me, the moon isn't a goal to reach, it's a harbinger of growth, change, familiarity. It's an apprehending of home, in every sense of the word.

What does "reach for the moon" mean to you? What is your relationship with the moon? What does the moon symbolize for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment