Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday

Today begins the season of Lent. Every Spring millions of people the world over recognize Ash Wednesday as a turning point in their year, the start of a new season.

For me, Lent has always been the marker of a new year. It's time to reflect on the past without reliving it and acknowledging the twists and turns that led me to this place and this moment in time.

The biblical readings today include one of my favorites from Isaiah 58:6-8:
"Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover them, and not to hide yourself from your own kin? Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up quickly; your vindicator shall go before you, the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard."

Even though I have more recently 'grown beyond' my Catholic roots, I feel the pull of this season. What about you? Whether at this time of Lent or otherwise, how do you choose to reflect on the path you follow?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the season does tug at me. I have ignored the pull for many years until I was able to reconcile my current beliefs with the idea of letting go of what is no longer serving me: traits, ideas, fears, people. During this season I ask for inspiration as to what this means to me at this time and gently begin the process. Thank you Mary Lynne for providing this forum. today.

    ReplyDelete